The 52-Week Blog Challenge was started by Britts Daily Dose & Sit Back And Just Live. I’m enjoying the challenge as a way to get myself into blogging consistently and it’s fun! If you want to participate you can too! All you need to do is 1. post the banner at the top of the post and 2. link both of their blogs in your post!
The revolution that is social media. It’s addicting nature alone merits mention. Over the years, it’s become an addicting, intoxicating, love/hate medium. How many times a day would you say you look down at your phone without even thinking?
Whether you are checking social media to kill time while waiting for appointments, as a distraction when you’re in full-on procrastination mode, while trying to relax in front of the TV or with family and friends, we almost instinctively reach for our phones to check posts on social media.
Why The Love?
- Connect with like-minded people – This is at the top of my list because we are all looking for connection. Finding others with similar interests helps to feel less isolated and promotes a sense of belonging. Whether your jam is writing, blogging, travel, fashion, politics, entertainment, etc., social media is a phenomenal tool to find others you share common interests and viewpoints.
- Expand your reach – Social media is about networking. Whereas in the past, people were limited to interacting with those close in proximity. Now the world is literally the limit! I love getting to know other creatives from all over the world and getting to know not only more about their particular craft but where they live.
- Learn something new – Social media has become a great learning tool. While there are both novice and expert advice, you can learn first-hand tips for a wide range of subjects. Sure, you take everything with a grain of salt, but social media is the new card catalog.
- Find local events – It doesn’t matter if you live in a small, rural area or in a bustling city, one of my favorite features of Facebook and Instagram is to readily find local events. Facebook events offer the option to look at events of pages you follow or to look at nearby events at large while searching Instagram using relevant #s can help you find local events.
Haters Gonna Hate
Hate may be a bit of a strong word. Let’s settle on something we can likely all agree on: social media can be an annoyance.
- Facebook started to feel like a chore. Yes, I have met many wonderful people through Facebook and for that I’m grateful. However, sometimes Facebook can feel like a place to flaunt and/or ridicule. It can be exhausting to on one hand be a cheerleader and defend yourself the other hand. While I am often genuinely happy for and empathetic to others, my introverted side can find it easily overwhelming.
- In lieu of the above, frenemies be gone! (Unfortunately, I have found this the case with personal profiles. Aren’t we friends/followers because we want to be friendly toward one another?!)
- It can take a conscientious effort to ignore the impulse to look at your phone, but repeatedly checking your phone, while in the presence of others, is flat out rude.
- Social media is one of THE all-time biggest time suckers EVER!
Favorite Instagram Tools:
Preview, The App – Preview has been my favorite Instagram scheduling tool by far! Preview offers drag and drop, unlimited grids, and a visual planner. The drag and drop feature allows you to easily move your photos, on your phone, to find the perfect grid for you and your brand. The app also has a # generator to help you target your audience. The best part is that Preview is free! If you want to add more accounts or filters there is an additional, minimal fee.
Linktree – Tired of Instagram offering only one link to your blog? Now with Linktree, you never have to change your link in bio again! As noted on their website, Linktree is a free tool for optimizing your Instagram traffic, whether you’re a blogger, an artist or run a content forum. The app will give you one bio link to drive followers to all of your content. This app is new to my social media tools and I am loving it!
Looking for a comprehensive list of Instagram tricks? Check out Instagram Hacks: 44 Tricks and Features You Probably Didn’t Know About by Hootsuite. Learn how to filter custom keywords, delete your comments or the comments of others that are offensive on your account in a few simple steps, tricks for improving Instagram Stories and so much more!
Instagrammers To Follow:
@lavieannrose by Angie Niles. Niles is the author of Bright Lights Paris (Penguin). A lifestyle and travel writer, Niles takes you on a tour of Paris to take in the sights, sounds and tastes that only the French can offer.
@cactusmagazine – For the love of cacti! Not only are the photos awesome, but so is the bio: The most succulent collection of Instagram cactus photography. Simply tag your photo using #cactusmagazine to have your photo featured.
@hurry.to.be.kind In their own words, Hurry To Be Kind is a lifestyle brand rooted in kindness, empowering others to do the right thing even if no one’s watching. Mic drop! I’m all about positive vibes and @hurry.to.be.kind delivers.
As noted on their website, for every product purchased, a percentage of the proceeds goes towards enabling the team of hurry.to.be.kind to carry out acts of kindness to those who need it most in the community.
We all have the opportunity to be a light in someone’s life, to be a change agent, a force for good. Each and every one of us has the power to make a difference. It all starts with a little dose of courage and small act rooted in kindness. @hurry.to.be.kind
To follow on Instagram: @sweetsnsnarks
To follow Sweetsnsnarks on social media go to: