Creativity in social media has exploded! Initially, many saw social media as a way to connect with friends and family – especially those friends and families who either moved away or had grown apart. However, it is a powerful tool for bringing creativity to the forefront.
As many keep up with current events, it stands to reason that many are turning to Instagram (among other sites) to look at beautiful photos by photographers, writers, painters, sculptors, jewelry makers, and paper crafters.
Whether immersing yourself hands-on in creativity, starting a small biz, and/or taking a look at the work of others, creativity allows you to dream.
“Dreams pass into the reality of action. From the actions stems the dream again; and this interdependence produces the highest form of living.” Anais Nin
What Is Creativity?
- Creativity is a palette cleanser for everyday life – In this high-speed WiFi age, information is brought to us 24-7 at our fingertips. It’s hard to escape headlines and trending topics.
- Creativity is freeing your spirit – Connecting with your own intuition, thoughts, and/or emotions.
- Creativity is reshaping, transforming, and repurposing – There are some things we cannot change: Responsibilities, deadlines, and rules. Creativity allows us to be in charge of given materials and moments to reshape, in a variety of pursuits, whether crafting, gardening, the way we work, etc.
- Creativity is hands on dreaming – Most everyone has a dream of some kind. Whether a deep-seated desire or a random daydream, both can ignite one’s creativity which in turn sparks more dreams.
- Creativity is making time for yourself – You aren’t meant to operate like machines, but to learn and grow. Take a bit of time during your busy week for yourself. To play, to laugh, to learn something new.
“Creativity is a great motivator because it makes people interested in what they are doing. Creativity gives hope that there can be a worthwhile idea. Creativity gives the possibility of some sort of achievement to everyone. Creativity makes life more fun and more interesting.” Edward De Bono
In treating yourself to a bit of creativity, you are freeing yourself from constraints to explore the world in a different light.
Ways To Facilitate Creativity
- Find a new medium to utilize – Instead of typing at a computer, I have wanted to explore acrylic painting. The last time I was around acrylic paint was likely to dabble or maybe as far back as when I first learned to tie my shoe. It’s high time to try something more.
- Take a class – There are numerous classes offered by businesses and museums including painting, cut glass sun catchers, etc. Sign up for one! You may find your next hobby or added artwork for your business.
- Share your projects on a blog post – If your creativity to step out of your comfort zone, to learn a new skill, or for the whimsy of it – Share it!! Learning about something fun and inspiring never goes out of style.
- Try a new spin on a creative activity you enjoyed as a kid – Remember those art classes you took at school or the local museum when you were a kid? Was there a particular subject you wish to increase your knowledge base to write about with your own unique flair? Explore those ideas further and compare/contrast what it was like then vs. now.
- Take photos (in a unique way) to document your creative process – Whether you choose to add it to your blog or not, take photos to document the creative process. This will allow you to look back to remember the fun of using your creativity from start to finish.
- Keep a creativity journal – A journal filled with your creative bucket list and your experiences trying them will not only be an uplifting reminder but will further spur your creativity. Soon you will be adding more things to the list you never imagined.
Find out what works for you as well as what pushes you to think outside the box to try something new. The beauty of creativity is that there is no right way to do it. Creativity is as uniquely individual. Give it a try! The world wants to see what you have up your sleeves!
Please feel free to share on social media!
If you are an artist or other creative, I would love to feature you on the blog. Leave a comment below to connect! I want to hear from you!